Saturday, October 24, 2009

WATERFALL

I've heard it called "Bella's Song" -- you know, the piano piece Edward writes and performs for his love, Bella, in Stephenie Meyer's vampire book series. But really, it's called "Waterfall." I forget who wrote it, and I'm too lazy to go downstairs and check.

I've been learning it on the piano. I practice every day. Genevieve plays this beautifully; it's a delightfully happy little piece. And it goes fast. I smile when I finally get a section up to tempo, fingers flying, the muscle memory kicking in.

I practice other stuff, too. Debussy's "First Arabesque". Beethoven's "Pathetique Sonata". Chopin Preludes and Nocturnes. Bach Inventions. Pieces I learned long ago, but haven't played in years.

I forgot to play for a while, though a baby grand sits in my living room. My step-grandmother gave the piano to me twenty-five years ago, after her only daughter, a gifted pianist, died in a car crash coming home from college. The piano is a gift I cherish. The fact that I can play piano is a gift I am trying to cherish more appropriately.

I forgot how happy it makes me to play. I get lost sometimes in being responsible. I forget to take time to just sit on the bench and make music. I play best when the house is empty, when it's only me I'm playing for. If I could, I'd let you listen. But you'll have to just imagine a melodic waterfall, notes cascading fast and loud, the mist of music in the air.

3 comments:

  1. If you are talking about Waterfall, by Jon Schmidt, the very fast, and upbeat song, it has nothing to do with Edward and Bella. The song that was dubbed "Bella's Song" by fans (but not actually used in the movie) is called The River Flows in You which I also play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Waterfall :) If you're wondering about the Twilight piano piece, it's called "Bella's Lullaby" by Carter Burwell. Someone gave me the soundtrack, so I have it. It's lovely, but quite simple.

    ReplyDelete