Saturday, October 10, 2009

IN HONOR OF PARENTS

Today is grandson Zachary's birthday. I was there at his birth in Chicago's Mercy Hospital three years ago, a privilege I've enjoyed with every grandchild so far. It is a different experience to be a part of a birth, without being the one birthing. And it is an awesome and unique experience to be a "Nonnie".

I've got five grandsons now, plus Max, our bonus grandson, brother to birth-grandson, Fin. (Yes, you can ask . . .) Besides Fin and Max, there is Nolan and Gavin, Genevieve and Scott's sons, and Zach and Nate, Garrett's and Bayra's boys. Nolan and Gavin are asleep (I hope) in my playroom tonight, while their parents jet off to Hawaii. Now that Zach and Nate have moved to Vancouver, all my little boys live nearby and I am SO glad to have them close enough to take to music class, have sleepovers, pop in whenever. I love being their Nonnie!

And I honor their parents, for being loving and courageous enough to bring them into the world and into their families, for making all the sacrifices that go with good parenting, for dedicating their prodigious talents to growing good people. Genevieve is pregnant with our next grandchild.
Despite her valid fears and concerns, she understands the value of motherhood and is willing to go the distance for the sake of another life.

I honor all those parents who are raising my grandchildren. They are my heroes. I have no way to say how grateful I am for their tireless work. I honor all the parents out there who are willing be lifegivers, who take the risk despite the fear, who stay the long and unpredictable course of parenting. Those are the people changing the world, one diaper, one hug, one lesson, one child at a time.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! I love making and bringing babies so it works out great! You are a great Nonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember you have another bonus one coming along too :) She's excited to meet you!

    ReplyDelete