Sunday, October 25, 2009

ANNIE'S FIRST DAY

Today was Annie's first day in the church nursery. She is now eighteen months old and ready to join our lively crew in the two small rooms on the north side of the chapel. Annie was less than thrilled to be there, however. The books, puzzles, toys, and music did not appeal to her at all. And even though she clung to me desperately, she had momentarily forgotten how to do anything but wail.

I coped better than Annie on my first day in the nursery a couple of weeks ago. I am the new Nursery Leader and though many cringe at the calling, I leapt at the chance to serve in this important church classroom. Here is where our youngest members learn the first basic lessons
of Christian doctrine and conduct. They learn that they are loved and valued by God, their families, and their church community. They learn to share and pray and sing. And I learn from them.

I learn from Annie how to be open about your feelings. Just wail if you need to. Sleep when you exhaust yourself, as she did today, oblivious in her corner as the rest of us had a snack, danced to some songs, learned about the gift of families, worked on our art project. Like Annie, I learn to reach my hands and my heart upward when I need comfort. I learn to wait, hoping that what they're telling me is true: that Mom is coming back, that I will get to go home at the end of the uncomfortable ordeal.

Some children bounce in to Nursery on their first day utterly excited to finally be there. Others wail for quite a while. But eventually, all the children learn to love Nursery. It is, after all, the most fun and happenin' place at church. And most importantly, we always have snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment