Saturday, October 31, 2009

COUNTRY LIVING

I bought a book at Costco last year called "Country Living." I keep it on my coffee table and read a section now and then; it's chock full of good info about how to pluck a chicken, grow asparagus, build a beehive. I haven't done any of those things yet, even though I live on 5 acres of blackberries in the country.

I went to visit a couple of country friends the other day and noticed their lovely gardens with
eight-foot high fences around them (to keep out the critters) and their chicken coops and their sheds with tractors and other country paraphernalia. They are living the country life. I went home feeling guilty, wondering why I can't conjure the energy to clear out these blackberries so I can build an eight-foot high fence and plant a garden. Or fruit trees. Or build a chicken coop or a beehive. It all sounds so country smart . . . and romantic. Living the country life.

While grumbling to my friend, June, about all this, she commented, "That's OK. You're not really a country girl; you're a nature girl." Ding-ding! That's true! What I love about living in the country is that I can sit anywhere in my house and look out the window at my beautiful trees. I can happily sit for hours, looking at trees. I love to sit on my deck at night and look at the stars, which shine so bright and clear away from the lights of the city. I realized I am a poet, not a gardener. And the world needs poets, too, right?

There's still the issue of wanting to feel like I know HOW to do these self-sufficient things, even if I choose to hire them out, or simply not do them at all and just look at my trees. But I'll deal with that tomorrow. Right now, the trees are calling.

2 comments:

  1. The Happy Hopper says: I like trees too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be the gal who knows how to do all those sort of things! I just need to learn how to do them! I have this great dream about your 5 acres of land. I want to clear out the blackberries around your land to make a walking trail for us to go in a loop. But I don't think I can do it alone so I have to wait till my boys and my nephews to grow up so they can help me clear it out. It will be so fun. Walking trail won't hurt your view but your land will have some other value than beauty. Double value!

    ReplyDelete