Wednesday, October 7, 2009

OOPS -- UPS!

So I'm just stepping out of the shower when I hear a truck pull up my driveway. Then footsteps up the stairs. Then the doorbell. I'm dripping wet, it's the middle of the day, and there is no sure way to get to my bathrobe without the doorbell ringer seeing me through the window. We rarely get visitors here in our country home. We don't worry about privacy.

Then I hear footsteps down the stairs and the truck starting up again. "Oh, a delivery," I surmise, relieved. I begin to dry off, in a hurry to get to Gloria's school to pick her up for a piano lesson. Then I hear the truck coming around the BACK of my house. No one ever drives to the back of the house, except for family. My bathroom is at the back of the house and it has a big picture window, with a clear view right into the bathroom. Not only that, what you can't see directly through the window you can see reflected in the huge mirror opposite the window. You can see me, for instance, still dripping just behind the shower wall.

I take a quick step toward the closet, hoping to make a dash for it in my towel. I slip and fall on the tile floor in a puddle of purple towel and laughter. I realize that at least he can't see me down here, huddled behind the tub, below the level of the mirror. I decide to wait him out. Until I remember I am expecting a delivery of some food storage. Fourteen boxes, to be precise. This may take awhile.

I crawl toward the closet, hiding behind the tub, laughing all the way. I have to choose different clothes, since the ones I've chosen are already set out in the bathroom. I'm afraid to turn on the light. I hope my socks match.

Dressed at last, I sneak upstairs and peek at the driver through the girls' window. Still unloading. I can't see, but he must be stacking those fourteen boxes in front of the closed garage door. Behind my car. It's too embarrassingly late to go offer to help him now. I'll just stay quiet.

Finally, the truck drives off, I raise the garage door and yes, there they are: fourteen boxes of food storage. Right behind my car.

2 comments: