Thursday, October 29, 2009

HELLO EVERYBODY!

That's what Joell sings to us every Thursday morning when I take my grandsons to her Music Together class. Garrett usually comes with me, and sometimes Genevieve, and always Gavin, Zach, and Nate. We sing Hello to everybody, then we enjoy 45 minutes of singing and playing and rhythm and dancing and good, happy fun.

Music moves even the youngest soul, as evidenced by one-year-old Nate today, bouncing up and down on his bum in time to the dancing music. Gavin loves to sing along on the songs he knows and at dancing time, I hold his hands and we spin and spin, his feet flying in a graceful arc, till we both fall down dizzy, breathing hard while the world keeps circling around us. Zach likes to blow out the lights and snuggle up for the lullaby; he needs the rest after spending most of the class running around in spirited glee.

Music is a magical, universal language. If I were forced to choose the one human creation that has been most valuable to our race, I'd choose music.

Everybody sing along now: Goodbye, so long, farewell my friends . . .

4 comments:

  1. Gavin loves music. So does Nolan for that matter. It's fun to watch them enjoy it so purely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Happy Hopper says: I think Kurt Vonnegut once said something like, "Music is the only proof I've ever needed of the existence of God."

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwww...such a lovely description of the magic of doing music with little ones. Can i share this with my other music together teachers? I think they'd love to read it.

    ReplyDelete