Monday, October 12, 2009

APPLE CAKE

We had extra eaters for dinner last night, so I decided to bake a cake. I don't bake much at all, and have little confidence in my culinary capabilities. I pulled out a recipe I'd written down eons ago, but I couldn't remember ever having made the cake. Apple cake. Sounded like just the thing to go with pork and potatoes. Besides, I've had a couple of big cans of dehydrated apples in my pantry for quite some time and I never know what to do with them.

It turned out to be a yummy cake. Here's the recipe:

APPLE CAKE

2 cups flour (I used fresh ground whole wheat flour)
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used extra cinnamon and nutmeg)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
4 cups sliced apples (I soaked the dehydrated apples in hot water to fluff them up)
1 1/2 cups sugar

Optional: 1/2 raisins, 1/2 cup nuts, 1/2 cup coconut (I added the raisins and coconut)

Mix thoroughly and pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake 45 minutest at 350*. (I baked mine 60 minutes, since it didn't look done.)

I don't know why you couldn't bake this in a flatter pan, like a 9" x 13". But it did turn out chewy and moist, so maybe the loaf pan matters.

I bought caramel and apples and sticks last week for my next apple adventure. It's autumn apple season, and of course, we live in Washington -- the apple state. (When we bought apples in Guatemala, we discovered they were from Washington.) So enjoy the bounties of the harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment