Monday, October 19, 2009

DANISH RED CABBAGE

My high school boyfriend's mother was Danish. Every Christmas, she would make this delicious red cabbage that I simply loved. So when the red cabbage was on sale at Winco the other day, I thought of those Christmases past and grabbed a head.

It had never occurred to me that I could make the dish. But lately, I am on fire in the kitchen. (For me, anyway.) And it has finally dawned on me that the internet can be a great help when wondering how to be creative in the kitchen. I googled Danish Red Cabbage and brought up lots of recipes. (It's actually called Rodkal, with a diagonal line through the O and a little circle over the A. I have no idea what that does to the vowel sounds.) You can do the same. I actually can't find the recipe I used last night, but here's an easier-sounding one, although it does use 4 times the amount of sugar and vinegar that I used.

Rodkal (Danish Red Cabbage)

1 small head of red cabbage, cored and shredded
2 cups white sugar
2 cups white vinegar
2 tsp salt
3 cups water

Put everything in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.

The recipe I used had onion and apple in it, too, a bay leaf, and red wine vinegar. It was done in 45 minutes. So there are various ways to make this. It was good with the pork and noodles we had for dinner. And it's just as good eaten cold.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment