Tuesday, December 29, 2009

SOUTHEAST 9TH AND STERRETT STREET

There is a neighborhood intersection in Sellwood that I always visit when I'm in the area, as we were last night. I had the girls with me and I parked the car and made them walk the four corners with me. The pavement itself is painted by the neighbors every year, and though it is a little tire-worn by this time of year, you can clearly see the bright, creative, symmetrical designs covering the entire intersection.

On one corner is the kids' playhouse. There is a gazebo with toys and books--very inviting to the younger set. Another corner harbors the teahouse, with an artistic gem-studded stone bench under another glass-topped gazebo, a clever little table to hold cups, teabags, hot water thermos, and a guestbook. The third corner has an enclosed bookshelf for the book share. Bring a book or magazine you're done with and take what interests you. And the last corner is the neighborhood information board, with notices and messages. Last night the chalkboard read: "Peace and goodwill to all in 2010."

Sellwood has a fun, funky vibe that brings out the not-so-latent hippie in me. I love the creative spirit, the love of beauty, the commitment to the earth and to peace on earth inherent in such neighborhood projects. I like to wander the streets and wonder what my life might be like if I lived there, what my journey would be like if I'd followed my hippie heart more whole-heartedly. Sometimes I think I'd do well in a commune of people devoted to the arts, to the earth, to spirituality or to political activism. As it is, I haven't the vision or the energy to do much on my own in support of such pursuits.

But I do support them. I am so glad that there are so many people in the world, many of whom are my friends, who are living out all my alternate lives for me. We make life choices and other choices disappear. That is inevitable and probably wise. So thank you to all the artists and hippies and activists, the monks and businesswomen and vagabonds who are living my dreams. I hope I am contributing to your dreams by living my own chosen life well.

Peace and goodwill to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment