Tuesday, December 22, 2009

LIZ LEMON SWINDLE

She's an artist. Does a lot of interesting pictures of Jesus. I met her once, when she came to Vancouver to do a fireside with Kenneth Cope, an LDS musician. I love her work. So when I went I went to visit Patti in Salt Lake City recently, I noticed that she had a few Liz Lemon Swindle paintings on her walls. One hung at the foot of her bed, so that it was the first thing I saw when I woke in the morning. It's a painting called "Mother" and it depicts Jesus hugging a woman from behind, his arms around her shoulders, his cheek on her hair, her hand on his encircling arm. Jesus has his eyes shut, as if he is blessing the woman. The woman--perhaps meant to be his mother, but I see her as me--squints in the light which falls full on her face, a soft smile on her lips. Pure joy and serenity. It's the way I feel when I feel the arms of Jesus around me.

I was so moved by the painting that I bought a copy while in Salt Lake City. And three others, as well. "Mother" now sits in a frame on my desk. It's right in front of me right now, a constant reminder that I am always held in the arms of Jesus, even when I'm unaware.

And so are you.

Visit www.reparteegallery.com to see Liz's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment