Friday, December 18, 2009

MESSES AND MERCY

I am constantly cleaning up other people's messes. It aggravates me to no end. So I am usually grumbling while I'm cleaning up messes that aren't mine. Sure, I do plenty of "Get down here and get your mess cleaned up!" but still, there is always more mess, more mayhem, more aggravation.

I look to Jesus always. So the other day, while grumblingly cleaning up yet another mess that wasn't mine, I thought of Jesus' life and muttered, "Jesus never had to clean up other people's . . ."

I caught myself right away. And spent the rest of the day repenting. Because that's exactly what Jesus' life and mission were all about: cleaning up other people's messes. Mine included. And I make plenty of messes and mistakes. He cleans up after me every single day, day after day, despite my best efforts not to make a mess of my life.

This has changed my approach to the inevitable messes and mistakes of others that affect me. If I want mercy--and Lord knows I need it--I have to show mercy. I have to have a merciful heart. I come every day to the feet of my Savior with my pile of messes and mishaps. And every day, he cleans up after me. No grumbling. No begrudging. Just sweet, healing mercy.

Ah, how I love my Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. It's true. Every morning is full of possibilities, every evening is full of regrets. Not 100%, mind you, but enough to keep me humble. I find that I grumble less at loved ones than I used to. I don't know if it's because it bothers me less or that I am so much more mindful of my own messes, as you say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to make sure that you know that I make every effort to clean up my kids mess after them. It is a conscious effort since my kids make so much mess. And also I know that you grumble when you clean. Excited to notice the change of attitude but I will still clean up my messes.

    ReplyDelete