Monday, December 7, 2009

GETTING A JOB . . . OR NOT

Now that Grace and Gloria are in school most days, I have more time. So I thought maybe I should get a job. I have mulled this for years, actually. There's the guilt to weigh--about never having supported myself financially. The guilt itself is useless, but it's there, nonetheless. Then there are the logistical and spiritual ramifications: how much time per week do I want to spend working for someone else? what about my creative pursuits? how will my kids and grandkids be affected? what about my travel addiction? how can I find meaningful, fulfilling, part time work? why should I take a good job from someone else who really needs it?

As you can surmise, this kind of round-and-round thinking severely limits my pursuit of employment. But one day, I was in the bank, the bank I've been with for over 30 years, and the bank lady was helping me link some accounts. She was diddling around on the computer while I watched, and it looked like so much fun (I like to diddle around with electronic money, too)that I commented, "Your job looks like fun! Do you like it?"

She replied, "I have degrees in Criminal Justice and Psychology and I never thought I'd end up working in a bank, but I absolutely love my job. There's a part time job open at this branch. You should apply."

Full of that blazing passion that fuels so many of my impulsive moves, I began to fill out the online application form. Later that day, I learned that my daughter-in-law, sole earner in her family at the moment, had lost her job and needed a new one.
She is an accountant with years of bank experience. I looked at her resume, then at mine (laughable) and decided right away not to hire me. Or even to apply. I figured I had learned of the job for Bayra's benefit.

We are still waiting to hear if the bank will hire Bayra. Prayers are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Hope Bayra gets it. That's a mighty noble sacrifice on your part, giving up that part time job possibility!

    ReplyDelete