Saturday, December 12, 2009

BROTHERS

This week I watched two movies about brothers. One was handily called "Brothers" and the other "G-Force". I actually fell asleep during the action scenes in "G-Force" so I can't speak with any authority about that. But I did catch the sweet scenes about the brother guinea pigs finding each other again. And the ending involved a star-faced mole being swayed from his vengeful agenda by the realization that he did, indeed, have a family to belong to. All very tidy and nice.

"Brothers" ended quite untidily, but very powerfully, with Tobey McGuire's character ruminating: "I have seen the end of war. The question is, can I find a way to live again?" The movie is about two brothers, one a war hero who presumably is killed in action and who returns home with a dark secret, the other an ex-con who finds his emotional bearings by befriending his brother's wife and daughters. It is expertly cast and flawlessly acted. I like movies that explore family themes and impossible situations, and this one does just that, in a very real, grips-you-till-it-hurts way.

One warning: it's rated R for sporadic, frequent use of the "F" word and for a bit of war violence. Make your own choice, but I judged it the best movie I've seen in quite a while.

1 comment:

  1. "Brothers" was amazing. I actually liked that the film ended the way it did. In such sad films, it's often a great thing for the viewer to leave his/her own imagination as to how the characters live on. Absolutely blown away by the performances though. Here's another review that sums up my feelings about that: “I thought the acting was extraordinary, with bracing and heartfelt cast chemistry.”

    ReplyDelete