Sunday, December 20, 2009

SINGING FOR JESUS

Whew! This has been a long week of performances, almost every day. Though I loved watching my kids and grandkids perform in their various recitals and shows, what I loved best was singing for Jesus.

Last Sunday night I sang in the Vancouver East Stake choir at our Christmas Devotional. It was a lovely program, culminating in our rousing (though somewhat less than technically stellar)"Hallelujah Chorus" by Handel. We had an ice storm that day, so severe that church was cancelled, so it was especially nice to be able to gather together that evening to celebrate our Savior's birth.

On Saturday, the Portland Mormon Choir and Orchestra put on two shows. It was a 14-hour day for all of us involved, but I always experience such joy singing in such a great choir. There's nothing that stirs my soul so much as belting out "O come let us adore him" with the French horns blasting in my face (I stand right behind them), the stage lights in my eyes, like the bright star of Bethlehem, my fellow singers surrounding me in waves of praise, my awareness of the audience sharing our joy.

And this morning, I stood at the pulpit in our own chapel with my husband, daughter, and son and sang "O Come, O Come Emmanuel", inviting the Lord to come to us. Grace accompanied us beautifully on the violin, with our friend, Lana, on the organ. We are not great singers, really, but one of our deepest family pleasures is making music together. And the best music of all is when I'm singing for Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. We loved the PMC performance. Is Genevieve no longer in the choir? There is such a nice balance now between the men and women, you could truly give the MTC a run for their money. Every time we attend one of your performances I think how fun it would be to sing in your choir. Except for two things: I might not get accepted after an audition, which would demoralize me infinitely. And I'm getting lazy in my old age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all the performances I attended. I am so happy to be married to such a musical family. G loves making music and I love hearing music. Really loved your songs to Jesus. maybe some day my boys will accompany you or sing with you. Well, there is a great idea by me. Volunteering my kids to sing with their Nonnie. They will love it!

    ReplyDelete