Sunday, December 27, 2009

SOUR CREAM CAKE

I make this every Christmas. It's a recipe I got from my grandmother, and I'd never had this cake anywhere else until one day I visited my friend, June, and she served me up a piece and ruined my two-month sugar ban. It is an irresistible cake, worth ruining your diet for. And as it turned out, it's a good thing it's not such a family secret, since I couldn't find my well-worn recipe card this year and had to call June to get the recipe.

SOUR CREAM CAKE

1 cup butter (don't use margarine)
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs, separated
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
8 oz. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond flavoring

Heat oven to 300*. Butter and flour a 10" tube pan. Cream butter and sugar very well, about 5 minutes. Beat in egg yolks one at a time. Combine dry ingredients. Mix sour cream with vanilla and almond flavorings. Alternate adding flour mixture and sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into the batter. Pour into tube pan and bake 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours.

Yum!

2 comments: