Monday, December 14, 2009

FIRSTS

Tonight was Grace's first performance as a violinist in an orchestra. Her violin teacher put together an orchestra for Christmas and she quite enjoyed playing her part in bringing Christmas joy to the residents of a local Assisted Living facility.
She is preparing to audition for the Portland Metropolitan Youth Symphony in January, so this was good ensemble practice.

At the very same time, in another local Assisted Living facility just down the road, Gloria played four Christmas songs in her first piano recital. She did a superb job after just eight weeks of lessons.

Obviously, we had to divide and conquer tonight as parents. Not ideal, but we deal.
I heard Grace's orchestra rehearsing on Saturday, so I went to Gloria's piano recital tonight. Besides paying attention to the music and the musicians, I was busy comparing the two facilities--both very nice, by all appearances. Gloria liked the place she played at and assured me that she would check me in when the time comes. Oh, and live in the same neighborhod and come see me every day, because she reports she is going to have a big family and won't have room for me in her house. So I guess I'm all set to get old. Whew! That's a relief!

2 comments:

  1. My piano students are performing their Christmas pieces at our local Avamere next week. I'm excited for them all to experience a little service along with their recital.

    ReplyDelete