Wednesday, November 11, 2009

HAIL TO OUR VETERANS

I know I said I'd tell you about Brother and Sister King today, but I need, instead, to pause to thank our veterans and those who are currently serving in the U.S. military. I am perhaps the most grateful pacifist ever. Right this minute, there are people sacrificing time, comfort, and sometimes their lives to protect the freedoms we, as a fledgling nation, fought so hard to win in the first place. It's not a perfect country. But I've just been around the world, traveling outside of my nation, for six months, and I will tell you this: the United States of America is still the best country in the world. That is not idle talk nor insignificant status. We are a coveted Land of Dreams for millions around the world. Our military helps make that so.

I attended a little Veterans' Day program at Gloria's elementary school yesterday. I sat between a grandpa in a Navy hat and another veteran of World War II. I belted out the patriotic songs with full fervor, and could not stop crying when all the veterans stood and we clapped and clapped in gratitude. When we said the Pledge of Allegiance together, something we adults rarely get to do anymore, I meant every word. When the flag went by, I bowed my head.

I don't really know why it affected me so. I had the same reaction at the patriotic program on Sunday when I attended "Music and the Spoken Word" in Salt Lake City. For all our grumbling and griping about government, today is a good day to remember what we as a nation have accomplished. And what it has cost.

These are some of the people I know--family and friends--who have served or are now serving our country. Please forgive any unintentional omissions; my thanks and my prayers are for all of you:

Alan Meadows, my father Air Force
Uncle Wayne Phillips Air Force
Elwin Garfield Navy
Justin Davis Air Force
Mitchell Johnson Air Force
Vance Smith Air Force (killed in action in WWII)
Keegan Campbell Navy
E.C. Holden Army
Hailee Holden Army
Chris Adams Marines

THANK YOU

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always cry at services honouring veterans.
    Add to the list:
    Jeff Osborne
    Charlie Osborne
    Edwin White (Annie's Husband)
    If you want to cry again, watch the video on my Veterans' Day post!

    ReplyDelete